Monday, April 15, 2013




It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 04/15/13

Visit Kellee and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts
for more about the It's Monday! What Are You
Reading? Meme
 
 
 
 
I spent my week sweating my way through Cambodia and Vietnam, so my reading was a bit irregular.  I didn't want to carry picture books, so I'm working on making up last week's picture books now.  Instead, I actually read a couple of books written for adults. 
 
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)

I listened to The Teacher's Funeral on audio.  I really enjoyed it, but I wonder what young people think of it.  I think it will be difficult for them to connect with the setting - a rural area in 1904, but I'm sure they can relate to the dread of a new school year, especially when the main character discovers his sister is taking the place of his recently-deceased teacher.  The story is humorous and interesting. 





I am both happy and disappointed with Scarlet.  I love Meyer's dystopian adaptation of fairy tales, and in this book, how she combined Cinderella and Red Riding Hood.  I'm disappointed that I'm finished and now I have to wait for the next book.  I hate that! 










I can't remember who recommended this to me - more than one person, I think.  And I know it is on the NY Times Best Sellers list and has been for a while.  So, when my library had the ebook available, I grabbed it.  I don't love this book though.  The more I read, the more difficult it was to like any of the characters.  I guess that happens when you see people dealing with incredibly stressful situations.  But I like to think that people are good by nature, and these characters didn't seem to be.  Having said that, it was an interesting story and even when I didn't like anyone, I kept reading.









Flight Behavior Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors so I was really excited when her new book came out.  I got it in November and started reading it on my trip to Vegas for NCTE.  Then, obviously, I got distracted by all of the books I got at NCTE.  So, it got put on hold until I was flying back to the States in December.  But then I got distracted by my in-flight movie/nap marathon.  So, it took three trips, but I finished!  I liked it, but definitely not my favorite of her books.  I love how she incorporates environmental issues in her books.  I wish this were one of her books that I couldn't put down, but since it took 5 months to finish, I can't claim that.  It was enjoyable though.
 

 

 
 
 I'm trying to get back on my reading schedule this week.  Here's what I hope to get to: 
 
 
 The Night Circus     Navigating Early   The Jungle
 
 
I have The Night Circus on audio and The Jungle is my classic for this month.  I will also have my 7 picture books (actually, 14 because I'm making up for last week).  I hope I get to a few YA books, and I've read so much about Navigating Early that it's at the top of the stack.
 
 
Thanks for reading my blog.  Have a great reading week!
 
lee
 
 


6 comments:

  1. Jim Dale does a brilliant job with the Night Circus audio. I feel the same way about Scarlet. I cannot wait to see how she weaves two more stories into the mix. Here are my plans (I am off my reading schedule too.) http://wp.me/pzUn5-1tH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky for you to be traceling through these beautiful places...thanks for sharing these title, all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. I do fully appreciate how lucky I am to be able to have traveled to the places I've been!

      Delete
  3. Lee- what beautiful places! You have such an adventurous spirit and it has led you on some amazing journeys.

    Night Circus is beautiful- when you are done, you should pick up Wonder Show :)

    Jealous about Scarlet- I need to read it as I loved Cinder.

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kellee, I guess it was a month or so after finishing Cinder before I started Scarlet. Really, I only read Cinder because I got Scarlet at ALAN and I'm so glad I did. You'll love Scarlet!

      Delete
  4. So many good books! What did you read in May?

    ReplyDelete